The ‘Warenvergleich.de’ editorial team has researched for 28 foods how much water is used in their production and comes to the following conclusions:
- The food with the highest water consumption is cocoa! For one kilogram of cocoa beans, you need to spend 27,000 liters of water.
- Meat production also requires a lot of water: Beef accounts for 15,490 liters, pork for 4,730 liters and poultry for 4,000 liters per kilogram.
- The most water-saving food is the tomato with ‘only’ 110 liters of water per kilogram – more than 250 times less than cocoa.
- The ten foods that consume the least amount of water are all vegetables and fruits: carrots, potatoes and green lettuce are all very economical, with less than 250 liters of water each.
- A restriction of meat consumption reduces the individual water footprint: Already one meat-free day Per week saves enough water to take a warm shower for 1.5 years a day!
Original content by: ‘Warenvergleich.de’, transmitted news aktuell.